02 03 Stop Loving Everything: If Lost 80s Friday Arrives on Thursday, The 80s Get Lost in a Wormhole Between the 70s and the Oughts 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

If Lost 80s Friday Arrives on Thursday, The 80s Get Lost in a Wormhole Between the 70s and the Oughts

34
Influences get worn on sleeves, collars, hemlines, and belts. On their latest leaked track from their forthcoming release News and Tributes, The Futureheads wear theirs right smack in the middle of a matching set of blazing red t-shirts. As if they don't, usually, enjoy them as I do, with their The-Damned-Meets-XTC sound. Download the following two songs, then imagine each song landing on Fantasy Island, together, for a creepy episode:

The Futureheads - Skip to the End

Peter Gabriel - Modern Love


How to explain, Mr. Rourke?

Well, Tattoo, the opening guitar line to the Futurheads' "Skip to the End" is maybe one chord off from the opening guitar salvo of Peter Gabriel's "Modern Love," from his 1977 self titled debut, otherwise known as his more interesting days. Most notably, though, my alcoholic, pyscopathic midget friend, the production on that guitar directly evokes Bob Ezrin's production on the Gabriel album. Did he work with F-heads here? Possibility.

How you know such unimportant things, Mr. Rourke?

I am crazier than catshit, I'm mad stealth with the music skillz, and I will eat your soul with a spork, my little colostomy drinker.

I love you.

Want a donut?

Sure. You know, I think you were better as Kahn.

Then touch my elbow and know eternal truth, my lovely little burst artery.

Oh. Oh. Oh!
35 36 37 38