02 03 Stop Loving Everything: On My Mother-Bourne Swedish Genes 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

On My Mother-Bourne Swedish Genes

34
New release coverage, and -- surprise! Not much hate. Most are Crotchfork's latest loves, which surprises me even more.

Herbert's Scale is simply Wendy-and-Lisa-era Prince. Which isn't a bad thing. At all. It might even be my favorite Prince period. Always loved the "Waterfalls" single.

The new Camera Obscura album, Let's Get Out of this Country is pretty damn good; hooray for Merge. I've never been what you can call a 'fan' of the Concretes or the Cardigans, more like an admirer, and will probably remain the same for the similar Camera Obscura, although name checking Lloyd Cole gets my attention. No wonder they had to go to Sweden to get it right. And jettisoning the Belle and Sebastien likeness was a great thing. There can only be One.

Futureheads' new one is worth your dollar. All the way through. They play like the Jam, sing like the Damned, and produce like Kate Bush. They almost write as well as the Jam, although it's unfair to compare anyone in such a light. Even solo Paul Weller. Especially him.

Looking forward to hearing more from the new Hidden Cameras album, Awoo; liked them from the "Ban Marriage" single I used to spin so successfully in my DJ days. Their song "Smells Like Happiness," from their debut, might be the most beautiful song with explicit lyrics about wearing blindfolds and deflowering a young man "who behaves himself in department stores." Great line. Take that, Morrissey.

Trying to like the Duke Spirit. Not sure if they do , any better, what thousands have done before. I would see them live, though, because the garage rock man-band vs woman-singer is always a good thing. But I need only one album of this stuff, and it's Knock Loud (2002) by the Paybacks.

Dirty on Purpose's new one won't set anyone on fire, but it will make a nice drive better, or especially improve an airplane flight. They're taking a deeper look at that territory that Yo La Tengo discarded around When the Heart Beats as One or whatever it was called.

Moving onto Lost Oughts:

Aerial Love Feed released a self titled EP in 2000. I first heard selections played on WNYU's New Afternoon Show. ALF might have been among the first to resurrect eighties shoegazers so unapologetically. They do an ok job, despite thin songwriting, of getting the atmospherics right. They're now called Rockethouse. I'm staying away.

Aerial Love Feed --My Clock is Always Five Minutes Weirder


Aerial Love Feed -- Angelika

Which brought me to finding an old Portastatic EP, bought when I first realized Mac from Superchunk had been recording other things (his Bricks project is ok, for Chunk fans, at least) unbeknownst to moi. The Scrapbook EP is mostly underwhelming save a heavens-aligned cover of Brian Eno's "St Elmo's Fire" with Ira and Georgia from Yo La Tengo.

Portastatic - St. Elmo's Fire

Around the same time I bought the Portastatic EP, I was sent, for review, a nifty little record, Bear Catching Fish, by Engine Kid, now long defunct. Recorded by some asshole named Albini and released in 1993, it's an interesting collision of Slint-esque math rock and pure metal; "Rockford Files" evokes both Sonic Youth, Slint, and Iron Maiden (wait for the rhtyhm section to kick in) and their cover of "Rocky Mountain High" makes so much sense with their particular sound that it's another moment where the heavens were in the right position for once.

Engine Kid - Rockford Files

Engine Kid - Rocky Mountain High

Enjoy the weakend (sic). I'm definitely going to activate my mother-bourne Swedish genes and get sunburned in Prospect Park. Just try and stop me.
35 36 37 38