02 03 Stop Loving Everything: Black Thought: Definition of War. Born in South Philly on a Cement Floor. 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Black Thought: Definition of War. Born in South Philly on a Cement Floor.

34
I've been Swamp Thing here at the lab, and also busy challenging interesting statements, like whether Beyonce is among the best songwriters of her generation, on other blogs. A futile endeavor, but time killing all the same.

And I've been dunking my head in the hip-hop apple-bobbing contest a month early. The new Method Man, the new Outkast, the new Roots. Viva the shady CD spot on Canal street. And the winner is:

The Roots' newest, Game Theory, hasn't bored me yet, which, after a week, is a lot longer than their last few stuck on me. Illadelph Halflife lasted maybe an afternoon.

But this is the real. A shout out to Jay Dee, some perfectly placed guests, and sharp, quicker couplets from Black Thought. And there's something about ?uestlove's drums that sounds more right, as if someone finally produced him well, or the rest of the band caught up.

I'm posting tracks that have already been all over the blogosphere, but hey, if you came here first, enjoy.

The Roots -- Here I Come


The Roots - Long Time

The Roots - Game Theory (dammit, what is that sample? Shadow used it on Entroducing)
35 36 37 38