02 03 Stop Loving Everything: Urban Turns to Pastoral. Static Fades. 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Urban Turns to Pastoral. Static Fades.

34
Part two in the 'geez, this is good for a slush pile cd" files:

Jensen Sportag. I forgot about this one until I heard a track this morning on Trouble's WFMU show, and so hurrah, Trouble, for backing my initially grudging like for this skewed bloopy-bleepy duo from Nashville, I believe. I also believe they've opened for Junior Boys, but that means nothing - I play softball with guys who, because they were in the right city at the right time, opened for bands like the Most Overrated Band of All Time: Smashing Pumpkins, or etc.

I also think Jensen Sportag have some sort of connection to Ariel Pink. Anyway, I'm happy to have this album, if only for the cover:


Not everyday you get to see an artist's rendition of carpal-anal penetration. At least not me.

Great website, too (above link was the myspace).

Oh: the music: It would be easy, lazy writing to mention Kraftwerk: who isn't making electro an not influenced by K-werk? So: clubby electro but then something more sometimes, and a song like Just a Part of Me reminding me of a similar masking-humanity-type-use of different electronic tools by Neil Young on his underrated Trans album (let the disagreements begin; that album is hated) in order to reflect his disabled kids' garbled communication skills; of course, the Young comparison begins and ends there. I also hear the kind of vocal manipulation you hear on Cher records. I bet they like Cher, too.

And then there's a nifty but almost jokingly retro-minded 80s synth pop song, something Naked Eyes would do, underneath the blizzard of pro-tools mania on Street Girls.

And to prove I'm not entirely krazy, here's yer Trans:

Neil Young - Computer Age
Neil Young - Sample and Hold (live in Berlin, 1982)

And because I'm feeling generous on this vernal equinox:

Sonic Youth - Computer Age

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38